- California State University Maritime Academy
- Vallejo, CA
Director, Advancement Services
Job No: 521137
Director, Advancement Services
Job no: 521137 Work type: Management (MPP) Location: Maritime Academy Categories: MPP, At-Will, Fundraising & Alumni Relations, Full Time
Working Title: Director of Advancement Services
Classification Title:Administrator I
Department Name:University Advancement
Time Base: Full-time
Pay Plan: 12 month
Bargaining Unit: M80 (Management/MPP)
Employment Type: MPP - this position is part of the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP). No tenure or permanent status can be achieved within the MPP.
Salary Range: Hiring salary is budgeted at $7,250 per month commensurate with education and experience.
Benefits:Premium benefit package includes outstanding health, dental and vision plans; life and disability insurances; pension (CalPERS); tuition fee waiver; and 14 paid holidays per year.See our benefits website for additional information.
Application Deadline: Open until filled, unless there is a specific close date. A review of applications will begin Monday, November 28, 2022 and the review period may end at any time thereafter.
The Division of University Advancement manages the fundraising efforts on behalf of Cal Maritime, which includes identifying and cultivating prospective donors, and the solicitation of individuals, corporations, foundations and professional associations for both operational and capital campaign needs. It also organizes and conducts special fundraising events.
The Director of Advancement Services (DAS) supports the California Maritime Academy Foundation (CMAF) and Cal Maritime fundraising efforts as outlined and this full-time position will report to the Senior Director of Advancement Operations (SDAO). The DAS is responsible for creating, interpreting and complying with fundraising policies, adhering to reporting standards of professional organizations and the CSU and ensuring the effective use of the donor database (Raiser's Edge) that maintains 21,000+ records of development activities and alumni activities. The DAS will provide advancement services in keeping with the size of University Advancement needs as identified in the in the major responsibilities and work activities.
About California State University Maritime Academy:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on the scenic Vallejo waterfront, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1000 undergraduates and 50 graduate students.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree, as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
- In coordination with the Senior Director of Advancement Operations, and best Advancement Service practices, the DAS will perform a complete review and assessment of the Raiser's Edge database to ensure effective use. Provides technical support, training and updates to users as needed.
- Provides day-to-day supervision of support personnel. Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates support personnel.
- Develops the Raiser's Edge database into a robust and critical tool to advance Cal Maritime while managing information security, accuracy and integrity of donor records.
- Knowledge of and compliance with all Cal Maritime, CMAF, IRS, State, and CSU fundraising policies and procedures and reviews for needed updates and compliance. Develops and implements new policies and procedures as needed.
- Oversees gift accounting and receipting. Develops, in conjunction with the Senior Director of Development and Campaigns, and reviews all: donor gift agreements and necessary Project Agreement Forms (PAF) for all new accounts.
- Reviews all existing gift agreements and PAF forms for unity and compliance.
- In coordination with the Senior Director of Advancement Operations, develops and implements the moves management process within the Prospect Module of Raiser's Edge.
- In keeping with specifics of use for Raiser's Edge modules: plans, organizes, and oversees data processing activities and coordinates information gathering.
- Imports/exports and manipulates data and downloads from other approved contractor sources related to target analytics, crowdfunding and event management.
- Identifies and codes campaigns, funds, appeals/ events, establishes gift benefits, coordinating with the office of accounting and finance as needed.
- Responsible for entry or supervision of correct contact information for donors and prospects; maintains active schedule of solicitations and donations; links constituent records as appropriate; etc.
- Identifies top prospects through predictive modeling, wealth screening or other rating strategies.
- Creates or implements queries for use in: reports; direct mailings and campus-based appeals; provides lists of potential invitees; programs database-generated correspondence. Maintains cordial relations and responds to donor and staff requests while setting the priority and appropriate effort needed to respond in a timely manner.
- Designs and produces critical periodic, analytical, and statistical progress reports as requested/required by the Senior Director of Advancement Operations and best advancement services practices.
- Preparation of the annual Voluntary Support of Education (VSE) report and the annual honor roll of donor report.
- Submits Raiser's Edge information on a monthly or requested basis to the Accounting Department for upload into PeopleSoft software system. Works with the Cal Maritime financial department on issues that arise from balancing to monthly deposits.
- Coordinates all activities related to the processing of all donor gifts and other receipts received, including capital campaigns, endowments, scholarships, event proceeds, the Annual Fund, etc.
- Adheres to all Cal Maritime and CMAF policies and procedures to ensure donor gifts are properly categorized, coded, and recognized including batch verification/reports; issue donor tax receipts; posting of financial transactions to the accounting department; and systemization of appropriate acknowledgment letters and receipts.
- Constituent record maintenance, including management of specialized lists and constiuent activity.
- The DAS will participate in all major University Events as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field is required. A proven track record in advancement services with at least five years of experience is required. Experience in University Advancement/ Development/ Advancement Services and fundraising experience in higher education is preferred and qualifies for substitution of a bachelor's degree.
- High level knowledge of and experience with donor database systems such as Raiser's Edge.
- Demonstrated advanced skills in the planning; identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospective donors for immediate gifts.
- Firm knowledge of corporate and individual solicitation methods.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying potential donors for gifts and sponsorships of $25,000 or more.
- Ability to handle varied tasks simultaneously.
- Skilled in database analysis to identify donor capacity and prospective donors through analytic reports.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including both written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational, administrative and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the mission of the Academy, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work with, and be successful within, a complex, multi-cultural community.
- Ability to train and inspire others to utilize the database and reports to close prospective gifts.
- Ability to exhibit high ethical standards of conduct and confidentiality in dealing with various internal and external constituencies
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner.
- High level knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, internet and database software packages
The Director of Advancement Services should be a self-starter who is detail-oriented, organized, proactive, a team player and understands the value and importance of proper data management. The Director must be committed to team building and collegial development work with increasing levels of responsibility and demonstrated success.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud fundraising software
- Knowledge of prospect management systems and the moves management of donors
- Knowledge of gift agreements and advancement services policies and procedures.
- Experience raising major charitable gifts.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Conditions:Involves mainly sitting with up to 25% of the activities involving regular standing or walking; involves lifting of medium weight objects limited to 25 pounds.
Hours of Work/Travel: Occasional special event work as part of the University Advancement team will be required.
Background Check: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check, credit check and fingerprinting) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Mandated Reporter: The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
Designated Position: This position is a “designated position” in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Eligibility to Work: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
Title IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO Statement: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
Application Procedure:Click to complete the Cal Maritime Online Employment Application and attach the following documents: cover letter and resume.
Disclaimer: The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained may be modified or changed.
Advertised: November 10, 2022 (4:55 PM) Pacific Standard Time Applications close: Open Until Filled
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/ma/en-us/job/521137/director-advancement-services
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Assistant Professor – Movement
Virginia Commonwealth University
GRI Senior Program Manager, Student Initiatives
William & Mary
GRI Program Manager, Research Initiatives
William & Mary
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design