Area Coordinator for Residential Education (PRN28353B)
The Area Coordinator for Residential Education (AC) position is a 12 month, full-time, live-in, professional staff position within Housing & Residential Education and the Student Affairs Division at the University of Utah.
Reporting to an Assistant Director of Residential Education, these Area Coordinators provide guidance, vision, and development for residential experience in multiple residential communities. At the core of this role is the educational framework of our department – Housing & Residential Education utilizes a curricular approach called the Residential Learning Model. Each AC has immediate supervision of a staff of 2 – 3 Resident Directors. ACs will support partnerships with Living-Learning and Theme Communities (LLC/TC) when applicable to their area. The AC is also responsible for contributing to a Residential Education committee and provides assistance with team-wide collateral processes, which may include Student Leader Selection, Training, and a variety of task forces supporting the curricular approach.
The University of Utah and the Department of Housing and Residential Education are in an on-going period of rapid growth and change. Our city and campus are evolving and, therefore, so is our department! We believe it is vital to add individuals to our team who are both excited to be a part of a consistently developing department and also prepared to work through the challenges that change may present. Key qualities we seek are:
1. Teammates who are comfortable with change. As we work toward our strategic goals we know the needs of our department will change; we seek people who are willing and able to help us change course to meet those goals.
2. Teammates who are prepared for potential uncertainties that may occasionally arise from change. We understand change can be uncomfortable; we seek people who have the desire and persistence to work with our team to move through those difficulties.
Housing & Residential Education (HRE) and the University of Utah value interactions among individuals with varying traditions, cultures, identities, expressions, orientation, religious beliefs, economic backgrounds, and racial/ethnic origins. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who will share and explore this value with the team and with our residents.
NOTE: The University of Utah is a tobacco free campus. Smoking is prohibited on campus property. Smoking cessation support is provided to faculty, staff, and students.
NOTE: There is no visa sponsorship available for this position.
As with much of Higher Education, the University of Utah and Housing & Residential Education are navigating difficult times due to the impacts of COVID-19. It is important to recognize that some factors are beyond our control. Based on changing needs and restrictions, there is a chance that this role may experience hiring delays or receive a furlough or temporary adjustments based on staffing needs. Additionally, while the nation addresses the pandemic, it should be expected that all staffing positions will experience adjusted roles and tasks, sometimes on short notice, to meet the changing needs of our students. Flexibility and adaptability are essential and the ACs will be supported through these adjustments by their supervisor as needed.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN28353B 00307 - Housing & Residential Educ
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time -- Availability:
1. The Area Coordinator for Residential Education is a full time, live-in staff member.
2. The Area Coordinator for Residential Education will keep regular office hours. Evening and weekend commitments will be required to fulfill duties of the position.
3. While serving on-call, the AC will remain within close proximity to the University. ACs are expected to serve on call during holidays, weekends, and evenings as needed to ensure 24/7 coverage. On-call responsibilities are split among the AC team.
4. Essential Personnel: This position is considered to be an essential personnel position for the department, and as such, must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing mission of the University.
· Train, supervise, and evaluate 2-3 Resident Directors, and indirectly 20-40 Student Leaders. In off-site properties, part-time professionals serve as live-in Community Managers.
· Meet regularly with supervisees on an individual basis, while indirectly overseeing student staff meetings and functions.
· Regularly observe professional staff meetings and provide training and ongoing professional development.
· Manage regular staff meetings with the Area Coordinator team.
2. Administrative Tasks
· Direct day-to-day operations of assigned residential communities.
· Assist in the development and proper interpretation of policies and procedures among staff and students.
· Serve as a liaison to Administrative Services, Accounting, and Facilities staff regarding resident management.
· Chair/Co-chair a Residential Education committee and provide leadership to an assigned process.
· Maintain an area budget and approve staff expenditures in accordance with purchasing guidelines.
· Assist in strategic plan implementation.
· Work to advance the University, Division of Student Affairs, and HRE’s strategic plan through participation in goal setting, program implementation, committee/task force work and assessment efforts.
3. Emergency and Crisis Response
· Take part in a 24/7 on-call duty rotation along with all HRE Area Coordinator staff.
· Respond to emergency situations and assist in resolving resident and facilities concerns and needs.
· Serve as a liaison with the University Police Department, Dean of Students, and Counseling Center.
· Share responsibility in maintaining health, fire, and safety standards.
· Serve as a Campus Security Authority for the University of Utah and assist in reporting incident information as needed.
4. Curricular Approach Management and Oversight
· Direct staff in functional areas to facilitate lesson plans and meet learning outcomes defined by HRE’s Residential Learning Model (RLM).
· Assist with annual edits and updates to continue the growth of the RLM.
· Take lead on assessment measures to ensure resident learning is occurring as a result of RLM efforts.
5. Facilities Management
· Assist supervisees with facility management collaborating with custodial and maintenance teams.
· Identify areas of facilities that need upgrades, maintenance, or repair.
· Walk through area buildings on a quarterly basis for cleanliness and maintenance needs identification.
6. AC Functional Area Development
· Oversee the development of an area community and educational environment that encourages student engagement, positive relationships, and student success.
· Collaborate with HRE and University partners on LLC/TCs including: Honors College, Lassonde Entrepreneurial Institute, Bennion Center, Health & Wellness, Kahlert Initiative on Technology, College of Fine Arts, School of Business, College of Humanities, College of Science, and the Alliance House.
· Support the educational environment through assessment of resident learning and sharing of outcomes based data.
· Assist professional staff, graduate assistants, CMs, and Student Leaders in the planning and implementation of an annual signature event.
7. Student Conduct
· Respond and process alleged policy violations as reported by staff, students, University Police, or community members utilizing HRE’s Advocate software package.
· Maintain due process and a learning-centered philosophy when sanctioning and engaging in the conduct process.
· Train, instruct, and oversee professional staff and graduate assistants in their role as hearing officers during the student conduct process.
8. Community Relations
· Maintain close communication and positive relationships with residents, students, and professional staff.
· Coordinate and represent the Housing & Residential Education Department on committees, recruitment activities, or projects as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Student Affairs Administration, or related field, plus four years of experience, or equivalency, required. Including two years post graduate experience as a professional in a Student Affairs position.
· Demonstrated experience working with a diverse student population, supporting the needs of marginalized students, and engaging students and staff on issues of diversity and social justice.
· Previous experience in supervision, administration, organization, and planning.
· Demonstrated experience leading student staff teams.
· Demonstrated experience with student conduct, crisis intervention, and emergency response.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
· Master’s degree in College Student Personnel/Student Affairs Administration or a related field.
· Previous supervision of graduate/professional level staff or equivalent.
· Previous experience with educational learning outcomes, the curricular approach, or equivalent.
· Direct experience working as a professional in housing.
· Direct experience responding to student crisis and/or facility emergencies.
· Experience analyzing and resolving conflict, building teams, and managing group dynamics.
· Knowledge of current and emerging principles within Student Affairs and Housing & Residential Education.
· Ability to multi-task and remain organized in a high energy and fast paced department.
· Knowledge of sound fiscal and ethical budgetary practices.
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/125426
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
More search results
Instructor, Criminology & Criminal Justice
Florida Atlantic University
Beef Extension and Research Assistant Professor
University of Minnesota - Department of Animal Science
Assistant Professor, Criminology & Criminal Justi…
Florida Atlantic University
Faculty Position in Sedimentary Systems Science
University of Minnesota, Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Twin Cities
Multiple Tenure-stream Positions
Dept.of Computer Science, University of Toronto