Research Specialist A
- University of Pennsylvania
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Research Specialist A
Job Profile Title
Research Specialist A
Job Description Summary
A Research Specialist Position is available in the Brodsky lab at the University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Pathobiology investigating innate immunity and inflammatory responses to infection. The Brodsky lab holds diversity and inclusivity as core values and believes that the advancement of science comes from the inclusion of all voices and backgrounds. We strive to create a supportive and intellectually vibrant environment in which every lab member feels seen and valued. The position offers excellent opportunities for intellectual growth and scientific training This is an opportunity to be part of a research team focused on studying innate immunity and inflammation, and the successful applicant will participate actively in conducting experiments and analyzing data.
Key responsibilities of the position include managing the laboratory animal colony, culturing of cell lines and primary cells, molecular cloning, western blotting, ELISA, and flow cytometry. Additional responsibilities include organizing/ordering materials and reagents for the lab, dealing with vendors, and sharing lab maintenance duties.
This position is contingent on grant funding.
- Performing experiments for own project and assisting lab trainees with experiments - cell culture and preparation, molecular cloning, western blotting, ELISA, flow cytometry. Bacterial growth/infections.
- Ordering laboratory supplies/reagents
- Managing laboratory mouse colony: mouse genotyping, and using the information from genotyping to make appropriate decisions about breeding and weaning of different mouse lines
- Sharing lab maintenance duties
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree with 0-1 year of related experience in research and clinical study methodologies.
Strongly preferred are: BA or BS in cellular or molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related field; 2+ years of experience in the area of cell biology, innate immunity, or cell signaling; 1+ years experience with mouse handling. The applicant must be well organized and is expected to maintain his/her own lab notebook.
Office, Library, Computer Room; Requires extensive safety, exposure to chemicals.
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 25 lb. or less
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Veterinary Medicine
$35,568.00 - $57,600.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Vet-School-Rosenthal-Bldg---3rd-Floor/Research-Specialist-A_JR00041236
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Faculty Position in Sedimentary Systems Science
University of Minnesota, Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Twin Cities
Multiple Tenure-stream Positions
Dept.of Computer Science, University of Toronto
Two Position Announcements for Professor level Op…
University of Arizona, School of Plant Sciences
Area Coordinator for Residential Education (PRN28…
University of Utah-HR
Faculty in School of Music: Music Skills and Theo…
CalArts - California Institute of the Arts