Grant Writer and Communications Strategist
The Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations is responsible for developing and managing programs leading to private gifts which will support and advance the faculty, students and programs in alignment with the overarching mission and vision of James Madison University. The staff identifies potential donors, and educates both corporations and foundations about financial needs of the university and conducts solicitations to meet these needs.
The purpose of this position is to solicit private gifts as well as the capital and endowment requirements of the university as needed. This position will be charged with all elements of the proposal and grant submission process including identification of new funding sources in the private and non-profit sectors, and execution of all elements of the proposal submission process. This individual will be expected to manage multiple grant submissions and keep a continuous flow of new corporate, foundation and non-profit opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply for new private funding sources for projects, programs and new initiatives by researching databases and analyze them to identify likely opportunities.
- Manage all elements of the proposal or submission process including compiling, writing, editing and submitting grant applications.
- Develop individual grants or proposals in accordance with each organization’s objectives and preferences and submission guidelines
- Work with university advancement team and others to prepare proposals
- Keep in contact with funders during their review of a submitted grant application in order to be able to supply additional supportive material if needed.
- Build solid and lasting relationships with funder’s through creative cultivations, stewardship and consistent timely outreach.
- Develop and maintain excellent collaborative relationships with university faculty and staff to better understand the needs, impact, data, and budgets for our programs, in order to submit the strongest proposals possible.
- Manage the process of supplying progress reports when required by funders which in includes working with staff to collect data on outcomes for funded program.
- Track all correspondence, submissions and reports in our database.
- Create a wide variety of collateral, including newsletters, flyers, video scripts, website and social media content.
- Coordinate and provide support for the Madison Champions program.
- Assist the Director of Corporate Relations with other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, writing or related field required. Masters preferred.
- Two to four years of directly related experience and/or training in communications marketing and/or grant writing and/or fundraising.
- Must have the ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and work as a team player.
- Exceptional written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and impactful proposals, press releases, etc.
- Ability to analyze needs and trends, utilize data, research, and create content to convey the needs of the University to specific grantor/funder interests and priorities in a compelling way.
- Detail-oriented, strong time management skills, the ability to be self-motivated.
- Corporate and foundation grant writing and administration experience.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
More search results
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ATHLETIC BANDS
University of Utah School of Music
Dean, Center for Naval Warfare Studies
Naval War College
Executive Director of Internal Audit
Western Washington University
Assistant Director of College Counseling
Friends School of Baltimore
Senior Director of Philanthropy (Administrator II…
California State University, San Bernardino