Associate Chair of Themed Entertainment Design
- SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
- Savannah, Georgia
Themed entertainment designers bring the stories and experiences of our world to life. They weave fictional and nonfictional narratives into compelling environments - places that elicit wonder and joy, communicate complex ideas, and translate emotional values into tangible experiences. At SCAD, the themed entertainment design program blends studios in design and planning with skill-based drawing and technical courses, as well as classes in storytelling and experience design.
As an associate chair, you will use your technical proficiency and knowledge to help students develop skills in a creative environment with an emphasis on professional training for careers in themed entertainment. You will evaluate professors through class observations and reviews of student evaluations, service and professional-development opportunities, and their contributions to department goals. With the chair of the program, you will be responsible for the daily operations of the themed entertainment design department, including the development, implementation, and oversight of the department budget; professional-development opportunities for professors; decision-making for student academic matters; and placing students in internships and careers. Among other duties, you will create a strategic plan that is consistent with SCAD and School of Entertainment Arts goals, assist the office of admission with undergraduate efforts, teach classes as assigned, and maintain and cultivate relationships in the performing arts field.
The successful candidate is an effective academic leader and has had a successful career as a faculty member, including a reputation for high academic standards and innovation in curriculum and pedagogy to improve student learning and academic programs. The candidate should be self-driven, a stellar communicator, and an excellent team player. As an associate chair, the candidate must have experience as a mentor, can accomplish multiple tasks with ease, and is able to re-prioritize tasks as needed to meet deadlines. Exceptional organizational skills are essential. Ideally, the candidate has TEA membership and is well-connected in the industry.
SCAD Savannah is woven throughout one of TIME magazine’s "World’s Greatest Places 2021.” The city of Savannah’s inviting climate and a culturally rich downtown provide a living laboratory for the study of art and design, as well as a dynamically layered learning environment in which students, faculty, and staff flourish.
- Terminal degree in the discipline or in a relevant field is preferred
- Five or more years of professional experience in higher education preferred
- Strong portfolio of relevant professional work
- Experience with Photoshop, digital visualization, and design (emphasizing technical skills)
• Terminal degree in the discipline or in a relevant field is preferred.
• Leadership and supervisory experience in academics or significant professional experience in an appropriate discipline.
• Distinguished record of scholarship, teaching and/or professional expertise.
• A successful career as a faculty member and/or discipline professional, including a reputation for model leadership, excellence in the field, high standards and innovation.
• Leadership ability to transform strategic vision into implementation through measurable actions.
• A commitment to teaching and learning, and excellence in academics.
• Thorough understanding of curriculum development and the utilization of assessment to improve student learning and academic programs.
• Ability to conduct thorough, thoughtful and fair performance evaluations, including classroom observations, productive individual evaluation meetings and clearly stated written evaluations that reinforce a faculty member’s strength and opportunities for improvement with suggested strategies and support for improvement.
• The knowledge to define the needs of the department on new faculty hires and the personnel judgement to make appropriate recommendations for hiring and reappointment.
• The judgement to make good and fair decisions in the student’s best academic interests with regard to various waivers and expectations and the ability to capture those decisions in appropriate reports.
• Willingness to collaborate with admission on the recruitment and review of students, with career and alumni success on employment and internship opportunities for students and on building links to careers related to the discipline and with other academic and non-academic departments in the best interests of students and the university.
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and exceptional work ethic to meet expectations and deadlines in such matters as academic scheduling, budgetary management and oversight, and preparation of required reports.
• Outstanding interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills.
• Evidence of success in creative and collaborative endeavors.
• Innovative, energetic and model leadership.
• Dedication to personal and professional integrity.
Work Hours:As noted in the Employment Agreement.
ADA Tag: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
More search results
Chair of Foundation Studies
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
Associate Chair, Sequential Art
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
Chair, Department of Pediatrics
University of Buffalo Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences/Oishei Children's Hospital
David and Dorothy Kemper Chair in Biology
Washington University in St. Louis I Arts & Science